philippine food

Monday, December 20, 2010

Delicacies

SUMAN SA LIHIA
This month’s Kulinarya theme is Suman.  Suman is one of Filipino native delicacies; it’s made of sticky rice (also cassava) wrapped in banana or coconut leaves and boiled.  There are  different kinds of suman; the ones I’m familiar with are suman sa lihia, suman sa ibos ( glutinous rice wrapped in young coconut leaves) and suman sa latik.


CASSAVA CAKE 
I have been in search of a good cassava cake recipe to satisfy my craving for it. I know I can easily buy a box of it but I have this thing, I am not contented just buying treats that I like, I have to have a recipe of it to try.


PALITAW (SWEET RICE DUMPLING WITH COCONUT AND RUSTY SESAME SEEDS)
Palitaw is a type of kakanin (Filipino native sweet delicacies); It’s called palitaw because of the manner it’s cooked. It’s a sweet rice flour dough or dumpling that you cook by dropping it in boiling water, you’ll know when it’s cooked when it floats on the surface, hence the name Palitaw.


 ESPASOL
 I made espasol for the first time over the weekend and was inspired at the last moment to cut it into fun shapes instead of just rolling it into it’s usual mini log (like tootsie roll) shape. My daughter really liked it and didn’t know it was espasol until she tasted it.


KAKANIN TOPINGS LATIC AND TOASTED COCONUTS
Latik is what makes some kakanin like biko, maja and suman-latik so irresistibly good. Sometimes I just eat it by itself, I can’t stop eating it once I start. My siblings and I used to fight over it when we were little. I wonder why does it taste so good? I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment